WOW! WHAT A MONTH

 October has been filled with every possible task and challenge one can think of.  In the beginning of October, New Orleans was in the projected path of yet another hurricane. With the uncertainty of being faced with another storm, the city of New Orleans began to prepare for the worst. One of those preparations was shipping all rescue dogs that currently lived at the SPCA to Virginia. This news was shared via social media and on the evening news. My boyfriend, Victor and I knew we had to do something to help. That next day we found ourselves at the adoption center meeting with several dogs. Our lives changed immediately when we met Kenzo- his big beautiful eyes immediately connected to mine and I knew he was the perfect fit. When speaking with staff, I was unsure of why someone could leave this beautiful dog in a shelter. The staff advised me that since the pandemic many residents have been unable to afford their pets and have had to give them away. I'm glad that I am able to provide a home to such a loving and caring dog. Kenzo now named Kendal is such a spirited and fun dog to have around with our other beauty Tyson. The two dogs play all day and have so much fun together. 

Not only did I adopt a dog in October I also took the time to early vote. Voting is such a responsible and liberating thing to do to make your voice heard. If you have not voted yet, there is still time! The big day is Tuesday November 3rd! Make sure you have a plan on who you are voting for as well as bring your mask! 

On Wednesday October 28th another storm was preparing to make landfall. This time it was a direct hit to New Orleans, Hurricane Zeta. Hurricane Zeta made landfall causing major power outages to 100,000 people. Unfortunately, it has been 4 days I have not had power at my home. Tulane professors have been very understanding. Several things such as my in person community service and scheduled classes have all been cancelled. As a person who has seen my fair share of hurricanes- this seems all too familiar. However you keep pushing and keep your focus. As a community we will come together and get through this. 





After the city began to open back up from the hurricane I wanted to make an appoint to give 
back to the community. Crescent City Farmers allowed me to be apart of their social distancing grocery pickup. This organization plays a great role in providing locals the opportunity to get the freshest vegetables and fruits while supporting Louisiana farmers. Keeping the community strong is something I definitely believe in.  









community service hours: 2hrs30mins
Total:4hrs30mins





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not Goodbye, It's I'll See You Later!

This February, everywhere it was just a Tuesday

What a time to be thankful