What a time to be thankful



 When reflecting back to this year one feeling comes to mind- and that's thankful. This semester I have learned so many things about myself. I have continued to refine my study habits all while pushing myself and my mind even further than I imagined. The last month of the pharmacology program we focused on Renal, GI, and Neoplasia. These particular areas were not originally my strong suit; however, I approached the lessons with more of an opportunity to learn and expand my mind versus feeling a sense of defeat before even beginning.     

I also took the time to continue my service projects and commitments I had started at the beginning of the semester by sending Thanksgiving and Christmas cards to my senior penpals across the States. With the holidays approaching and Covid-19 ramping back up, it can be a lonely time for people who unfortunately have to be isolated away from their family. I hope that my cards can bring some happiness into their lives, even only for a few moments. 


Several families across the world are also feeling the effects of the pandemic. Many families in New Orleans and throughout the world are unfortunately not able to provide their loved ones with a Thanksgiving meal, which is why I volunteered with CultureAid Nola to personally handout boxed food items to those in need. A representative from each family was able to come and gather boxes of food for not only their family, but also for their neighbors, family, and friends. This is such a time to be thankful for everything you do have along with the capability of being able to help others. The feeling of giving back and providing someone with relief will be something that I will be forever thankful for.




To me, supporting New Orleans not only means the residents, but it also means supporting the businesses that make up the community. I continue to shop locally for all my household needs instead of using big businesses.  Crescent City Farmers Market grants you the opportunity to support local farmers. By supporting the local farmers and volunteering with Crescent City Farmers I feel like I am making a difference in my community. Preordering all of your family's grocery/farmer needs can be picked up every Tuesday and Sunday.

 

I'm very thankful for everything that has happened this semester. This year overall has been tough, but it has taught me to be grateful for the people I have in my life and to not take anything for granted. This year has further instilled in me to keep working hard towards my dreams of becoming a doctor.  Most of all it has shaped me into the type of physician I want to become. A physician that wants to treat New Orleans and continue to make our community stronger, to continue to service the less fortunate and provide opportunities for all. 




community service hours: 
food drive 4
letters 2
farmers market 2.5
Total: 8.5
Overall total: 13

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not Goodbye, It's I'll See You Later!

This February, everywhere it was just a Tuesday